Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alex Livingston | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-11-26 11:39
The Scottish Fold and the British Shorthair they are two breeds of cats, some of which tend to get confusing: in fact they look quite similar and have a fair number of traits in common. However, they are still different races, and in this article we will tell you what exactly the differences between them.
- Dimensions and weight: The Scottish Fold is medium in size and ranges from 3.5 to 5 kg in weight, while the British Shorthair can weigh between 5 kg (females) and 9 kg (males).
- Fur: The Scottish has a hair that varies from long to short and that needs more care in order not to lose shine than that of the British Shorthair which, as the name suggests, has a rather short and soft coat.
- Ears: this is perhaps the most easily recognizable difference, as the Scottish Fold is distinguished by the ears with the tips folded down, from which it takes its name; the British Shorthair instead has them with the tip turned up.
- HeadSpecimens of both breeds have very similar eyes, head and muzzle, but the British are more plump and round while the Scottish have more pronounced cheekbones and jaws, especially males.
- Health: both breeds have the same tendency to develop hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, but it is the only disease they have in common: the Scottish is more prone to osteoarthritis and polycystic kidney, while the British is more at risk of developing gingivitis and various diseases of the cord oral.
They are both excellent pets: they love cuddles and are easily attached to their owners, whom they tend to follow around the house or over the course of a short walk. In character, however, they are very different: the Scottish Fold is a great playful, sociable with everyone and so fond of the company of others that he suffers when he feels too lonely or neglected; the British Shorthair, on the other hand, is shy and silent, and is more at ease in quiet and uncrowded environments.
The Scottish Fold is one of those cat breeds characterized by a marked sexual dimorphism, that is to say that there are some differences evident between a male and a female . Let's see together what it is. Let's start with the size first:
The British Shorthair and the British Longhair they are both beautiful animals, especially for those who have never had a cat with them: in addition to being robust felines with little tendency to develop congenital disorders, these cats are gifted with some of the most interesting traits in the feline world.
The British Longhair and the Maine Coon they are both widespread and much loved longhair cats, with some similar characteristics but also some differences quite relevant. If you are undecided about which of these cats to take home with you, this article will give you all the answers you are looking for.
The American Shorthair is a breed known for its longevity, robust health, beauty, sweet personality and friendliness with children, dogs and other pets. As with humans, cats of different sexes also have different behavior. That is why it is important to know the characteristics of both American Shorthair, male or female .
There is a profound link between Exotic Shorthair and Persian Cat , more precisely, the first derives from a cross between the second and the American Shorthair. There is no doubt, therefore, that there are similarities between the two cats, especially as regards the physical appearance.