Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alex Livingston | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-11-26 11:39
The cat fountain may seem simply an aesthetic choice or even a whim in the eyes of a person who has never cared for these animals. In fact it performs a very specific function it is important for the health of the cat. Let's see together how to choose a cat fountain that meets your every need.
Function and operation
Compared to other animals, cats have more difficulty in staying hydrated adequately because they perceive thirst in a different way and tend to drink little; in general it is difficult to establish with certainty how much water they consume daily. Added to this is a sort of fear of water, especially stagnant water, which has not yet been fully motivated by experts; even the home bowl can be the object of this aversion.
This situation, aggravated by a diet consisting mainly of dry foods, can lead to very high levels of dehydration and responsible for various types of disorders.
Drinking fountains solve this problem because running water attracts their attention and tempts them to drink more often: it is therefore a very important accessory for those who take care of these animals.
How to choose it
In most cases this is simply a bowl connected to a pump, motor or directly to a source of running water, which will keep it always fresh and "alive": both of these factors influence the amount of water that your cat will decide to take during the day, and therefore the first to take into consideration for your choice.
However, there are various models of drinking fountains on the market, each with its own characteristics.
There are countless types of cat fountains available, both online and in stores. They range from the more "spartan" to the more elaborate ones, perhaps equipped with anti-splash ramps, water flow control, multiple compartments to distribute food, more points from which to drink, LED lights that warn when the water begins to run out and ultraviolet purification systems.
All you have to do is choose the model that best suits your needs, including space, and yours starting budget. Prices start from around € 10-15 for the simpler versions and can even exceed € 100 in those with a more complex design, while replacement filters cost from € 5 to € 10 on average.
In any case, we recommend that the following characteristics be taken into consideration:
- Cleaning: it is very important that the fountain is easily removable and washable to avoid the accumulation of impurities.
- Filtering: the constantly circulating water must be adequately filtered from debris, hair and food residues, and the filters must be easily replaceable. Consider the possible presence of activated carbon filters that also eliminate bad odors.
- Capacity: a large fountain is particularly useful if we have to go away for a few days and will avoid having to fill it continuously in case of need.
- Consumption energy: the fountains must always remain on, or in any case for a long time, so it is advisable to prefer a model that does not consume too much.
- Noisiness: depending on the type of pump and its coating, it will produce more or less noise.
- Plastic: Plastic models are certainly among the cheapest and most aesthetically striking, so perhaps they will attract your attention more easily. However, remember that plastic is more porous than other substances and more easily retains water impurities.
- Metal: stainless steel makes drinking fountains more expensive but also more hygienic and durable over time.
- Ceramic: it is also more expensive but more reliable than plastic since it does not absorb odors and is easily washable, even in the dishwasher. There are also handcrafted models which, although less advertised, can better adapt to the aesthetics of your home by acting as a decorative element.
The cute protagonist of today is Sunny , a kitten that one day he woke up and decided he would no longer drink from his bowl, but from a drinking bottle for hamsters . In fact, his first target has always been the shower tap. Only later, with its owners, did it compromise hamster drinker .
When kittens start drinking water ? If we believe that little cats consume only their mother's milk, we are wrong. Especially at an early age, the intake of water is essential for the growth and development of organs to take place in the most correct way possible.
Nowadays, pelosetti have become the stars of the web. The videos in which their moments of life are immortalized reach such a high number of views that they become viral. The protagonist of the images we want to show you today is a cat drinking soda for the first time.
When we have a cat at home, its health and well-being come first. Attention must be paid to the utmost, for this reason periodic checks should be carried out with your veterinarian, to prevent any health problems. A cat that is doing well stands out:
Although strange and "incomprehensible", it is one of the most frequent habits of our four-legged friends. But how do you prevent the cat from drinking toilet water ? If you don't know how, don't worry. Thanks to our advice, more precisely methods, you will succeed in no time at all.