Table of contents:
2023 Author: Alex Livingston | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-11-26 11:39
If a cat has a swollen eye this will cause him pain and discomfort, and it is therefore advisable to provide relief as soon as possible. The swelling can be unilateral or bilateral: that is, it can occur in only one eye or in both. The causes of this problem are many, and we will examine them in this article.
The diseases that cause the development of eye swelling, sometimes so severe as to totally prevent it from opening, are the following:
- Conjunctivitis: inflammation of the conjunctiva, the membrane surrounding the eye and the inside of the eyelid; it is a very painful disease for the animal and is often accompanied by tearing or loss of pus from the eye.
- Keratitis: inflammation of the cornea;
- Blepharitis: inflammation of the eyelid.
These, especially conjunctivitis, can be caused by:
- Abnormalities of the eyelid;
- Viral infections such as rhinotracheitis and calicivirosis (which generally cause upper respiratory infections and symptoms such as sneezing and excessive tearing);
- Bacterial infections such as those from Streptococcus and Staphylococcus;
- Uveitis, an inflammation of the vascular lining of the eye (uvea);
- Entropion, a particular type of irritation of the cornea caused by a folding of the eyelid inwards, which forces part of the lashes to rub against the eye. It can be primary (seen in short-nosed breeds such as Persian and Exotic) or secondary (due to itching and rubbing of the eyes). Surgery is the most suitable treatment for this disorder;
- Allergies: some substances present in the environment such as pollen, smoke, dust are among the most common allergens. The best way to treat them is to remove them wherever possible; a specific test will be needed to recognize them all;
- Haw syndrome: disorder in which the cat's third eyelid is constantly visible;
- Trauma or presence of foreign bodies in the eye: even a blade of grass or a scratch caused by a fight with other animals can cause localized swelling, as well as a lot of discomfort in the animal; if you notice a residue present in your cat's eye, DO NOT remove it yourself but contact a veterinarian immediately;
- Tumor to the eye or eyelid: surgery is often the only remedy for this ugly ailment;
- Sting of insects: fortunately it tends to resolve itself over time;
- Sty: an infection of the sebaceous gland present in the eyelid. Treatment consists of cold packs and administration of antibiotics.
The veterinarian will carry out a thorough examination of your cat after a careful examination anamnesis. If no trauma is found, further tests will be performed. In this regard, the symptoms that accompany swelling will give a more precise idea of the possible cause: for example, if the cat shows symptoms of a respiratory infection, it is likely that it is rhinotracheitis or calicivirus. So watch carefully appearance and behavior of your cat and note any other clinical signs.
We know well that cats are animals that love to move undisturbed and without limitations, so we can understand them as a paw problem can be particularly annoying to them. Yet they know how to be extremely good at masking pain or discomfort, so it's up to us to observe them well and find out if there is something wrong.
Swelling in the abdomen is a symptom of a big one variety of conditions in the cat. It can come on suddenly or develop over time, but in any case it should be treated as a potentially serious condition and should be resolved as soon as possible.
When you take a adult cat, swollen belly and other signs can be a sign that something is wrong with your cat's health. For this it is essential to understand the roots of these behaviors and try to find a solution as soon as possible; the timing can often save the life of the cat and can allow it to live long and without particular health problems.
When it comes to elderly cat, swollen paws and painful can be the first signs of a problem; understanding when your cat is sick is essential in order to intervene quickly. Keeping your furry strong and healthy is your responsibility and you need to do everything you can to make them feel good.
Cat can be affected by many types of diseases, including those concerning the reproductive system. Because, for example, the cat has swollen testicles ? It is enough to observe your cat to realize it and in-depth examinations are needed to understand the causes of this problem.