Table of contents:

Are flies bad for cats?
Are flies bad for cats?

Your cat loves to chase and play with insects and maybe even eat them from time to time and you, as a concerned owner, will wonder if flies are bad for cats, as well as the other insects they put in their mouths. Here's what you need to know.

Cats are hunters by nature


Cats are hunters by nature and love to chase prey. Evolution has provided cats with an acute sense of hearing and vision, for this reason, even the slightest sight or sound of a possible prey can immediately trigger this instinct in the cat.

That's why cats they enjoy chasing flies and insects as soon as they have the opportunity.

Many common insects are harmless to cats, but some can be poisonous or cause injury.

In fact, even non-poisonous pets can cause vomiting or other gastrointestinal problems if they are consumed in excessive quantities.

Symptoms can be vomiting or abdominal pain in the cat.

Gastrointestinal disorders


If a cat eats many insects at one time, or a certain type of insects, this could cause an upset stomach.

Insects with hard exoskeletons, such as beetles, really are irritants to the cat's digestive tract.

Also, if the kitten doesn't chew thoroughly, a piece of the insect can get stuck in the throat, causing choking. The cat may also suffer from diarrhea.

In many cases, even the pesticides that are used to repel insects become more harmful than the insect itself.

That's why, if you use pest and insect control chemicals in your garden, make sure they are safe for pets.

Poisonous and stinged insects


Some insects, such as fireflies, are poisonous to your cat and can cause severe intestinal problems.

Although it is said that cats instinctively know which insects to avoid, it is good to pay close attention.

Flying and buzzing insects are very tempting to playful cats. However, their bites can be painful, as in humans, so it is possible that a cat has an allergic reaction.

However, if you find that your cat is unwell after being out of the house, ask your vet for advice to be sure that she is well or that she has eaten too many insects.